Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And the nominees are...

It's that time of year again. Time to sift through the talented and the talentless and as a result award the lastest and greatest of the country music industry at the 42nd Annual Country Music Awards. Being the geek that I am, I like to make this event into a celebration of all things country music related and host an awards show viewing party. After taking a couple of years off, this year's party is sure to be chock full of good friends, great music and lots of yummy food. More on that to follow as the date draws near. Right now I'd like to take a moment to discuss today's nominations and my thoughts and vote for each catagory. First off:

Vocal Group of the Year


Hmmm...Several talented contenders in this bunch, but I'm gonna put my money on Rascal Flatts for the win. The Eagles of course are always a favorite with the older set, but without any standout singles or albums for that matter any time lately, I just don't see them going the distance against current widespread hipsters Rascal Flatts. Personally, both Lady Antebellum and Little Big Town have grown on me considerably over the last six months or so, I just don't think they've paid enough dues to be competitive in this catagory. And Emerson Drive? When was the last time they released anything? If they did, nobody thought to inform me of it!

Male Vocalist of the Year



Tough competition here, but as much as I hate to admit it, I think Kenny's going to pull this one out of his hat. Anyone that knows me is well aware of my long-time obsession with Brad Paisley and his music. I've been to several of his shows and defiantely consider myself a "super fan". Nothing would make me happier than seeing him accept this award that I feel is well deserved. The sad part is that I think beach-bum Kenny and his Corona slugging followers are going to walk away with this one. As for Alan, King George and New Daddy Keith, as deserving and entertaining as they may be, I think will be going home empty handed.


Female Vocalist of the Year




::sigh:: I get all warm and fuzzy inside looking at most of the names listed above. As much of a Brad Paisley fan as I am, I think I have an even bigger crush on some of these girls. Alison Krauss and Martina McBride, while totally different sounds, have two of the most flawless, perfect voices in the biz. They have been icons for years and at one time or another I think they've won just about every award there is available. I don't think this is their year for this one though. The first time I heard Miranda Lambert, I fell in lust. She's as real as they come, with the voice and attitude to match. I remember watching her on the very first episode of Nashville Star (when it was still worth watching!) and thinking that she was going to go BIG places. Boy was I right about that one. I have a feeling that this girl is going to be around for awhile. Love, love, love this girl! Tony teases me all the time about my "girl crush" on all things Miranda. What can I say? I've got good taste I guess. But seriously, who WOULDN'T want to be her? She is the epitome of a female country music vocalist, I just don't think enough people have recognized that yet. No worries, her day will come. I'm beginning to ramble, so I'll try and wrap this one up- Ms. Underwood is going to win it by a landslide and absolutely deserves to. She's got the biggest set of pipes on the radio and all the glamour, looks and pearly white smile to back it up. This is Carrie's year. You can take that one to the bank. And if Taylor Swift wins, I'm never watching these awards again. (Can you tell I'm not a fan?)

Duo of the Year

Brooks and Dunn Big and Rich Montgomery Gentry Sugarland The Wreckers



Ooohh..Brooks and Dunn, you better hang on to your (cowboy) hats! I think Sugerland is going to be hot on your tail for this award. Since Kix and Ronnie have won this one for the last bizillion years, some would think that they're rather untouchable. I, on the other hand, believe that the lovable combo of Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush, also known as Sugarland, are going to be HUGE this year with a whopping six nominations. They better eat their Wheaties, because I think they're going to be taking home a lot of trophies. As far as the rest of the group is concerned, Montgomery Gentry is ok, just not CMA material, and Big and Rich & The Wreckers havn't released anything in so long I don't even know why their names are on the ticket. This one is going to be close, but I see Sugarland being the upset fo'sho!!!

New Artist Award



This one's tricky. While both Jason Aldean and Rodney Atkins have several pretty substantial hits to their names, I don't think the nation-wide appeal has really caught on. Lady Antebellum and James Otto are still all but unheard of, other than a couple of very forgettable tunes, so I don't see them doing much this year. Kellie Pickler on the other hand just may win this one my a nose (or some other large, protruding body parts...). It's not that I dislike Pickler, it's just that she left a less-than-fantastic impression with me after her stint on American Idol. Didn't think she was super talented then and still don't think she's super talented now. But for some reason or another, she has captured the hearts of many and become a sort of American sweetheart. Good for her. Now take the award and go home so that you can bleach your hair and eat more "Cal-a-MAR-ee". I'm not impressed. Hopefully I'm wrong and either Aldean or Atkins win it, but I don't think I will be.

Entertainer of the Year

Kenny Chesney Brad Paisley George Strait Sugarland Keith Urban



I've voiced my opinion on all of the nominees listed above. I'm going to keep it simple and say that I think Kenny is going to win it, with Brad Paisley and Sugarland nipping close at his heels. I would love to see either of them win, and again I think it would be very well deserved, but this one has Uncle Kenny written all over it. As for George and Keith, better luck next time boys!

As for the rest of the catagories, I could go on an all day rant about why I think each song is better than the next. Lucky for you I will save this diatribe for another time and just highlight the song or album that I think is in a position to win. Here goes.
Album of the Year

Carrie Underwood, Carnival Ride
Brooks and Dunn, Cowboy Town
Alan Jackson, Good Time
Kenny Chesney, Just Who I Am: Poets and Pirates
George Strait, Troubadour

Single of the Year
"Don't Blink", Kenny Chesney OR
"Gunpowder and Lead", Miranda Lambert
"I Saw God Today", George Strait
"Stay", Sugarland
"You're Gonna Miss This", Trace Adkins

Song of the Year

"Good Time", Alan Jackson
"I Saw God Today", George Strait
"Letter to Me", Brad Paisley
"Stay", Sugarland
"You're Gonna Miss This", Trace Adkins

Musical Event of the Year

"Another Try", Josh Turner feat. Trisha Yearwood
"Every Other Weekend", Reba McEntire and Kenny Chesney
"Gone, Gone, Gone", Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
"Life in a Northern Town", Sugarland feat. Little Big Town & Jake Owen OR
"Shiftwork", Kenny Chesney (duet with George Strait)

Music Video of the Year

"Don't Blink", Kenny Chesney
"Good Time", Alan Jackson
"Stay", Sugarland
"Waitin' on a Woman", Brad Paisley
"You're Gonna Miss This", Trace Adkins

Musician of the Year

Jerry Douglas
Paul Franklin
Dann Huff
Brent Mason
Mac McAnally

So there it is. My thoughts and theories on the 42nd Annual Country Music, due to air November 12, 2008 on ABC. Let's all check back here the day after and see just how well I called it. Until then, go find yourself a honky-tonk, fire up the jukebox and cry in your beer. Only then can you truely appreciate this great music and why it means so much...

1 comment:

Immortal Beloved said...

i just wanted to say that i love all the good comments about Sugarland. I love Jennifer Nettles. Did you know that she got her singing career started in a 4-H performing arts group in Georgia called Clovers and Company. When I was in 5th grade she was my 4-H camp counselor. Wish I would have gotten her autograph...