Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Good morning all!

Don't have a lot of time right this second, but I wanted to get in the habit of updating this monster, so I here I am. Last night was pretty uneventful. Tony, Abbey and I all went to my folks house for dinner and a little "family time". We were treated to one of my favorite recipes, something that my (step) Dad calls "Slop". Sounds awful, right? WRONG!!! This is the perfect cool weather, stick to your ribs type meal that is sometimes even better the next day. Essentially all it is is milk gravy, chipped beef and peas over top homemade mashed potatoes. Served with a big chunk of crusty bread on the side...oh so good. I can't wait to run home at lunch time so I can warm up some leftovers. Hopefully Tony hasn't eaten it all by the time I get there! I'll check in with "Pa-pa" later and get the official recipe so that I can share it with you guys. I assure you, it's so simple even I can make it. Cheap, easy, quick and filling...just how I like my meals! It is also popular to serve this dish over toast/bread and is commonly refered to as "Shit on a Shingle". That almost makes "Slop" sound appetizing! Anyway, here's basically what it looks like (sans potatoes). I'll be back later with the rest of the story...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My famiy makes a version of this; my papa got it from the Navy. We just make the gravy with chipped beef and serve it over toast. They also called it "Shit in a Shingle", but my mama called it "SOS" instead. DELICIOUS!